Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Where can I get the Static IP, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway Information from?

I'm currently in the process of setting up a domain controller in windows server 2003. The computer prompted me to use a static ip after recognizing that I was using a dynamically assigned ip.





Where can I get this static ip from as well as the default gateway and subnet mask? Can I just use some made up ones? I'm new to all this so I'm not sure.Where can I get the Static IP, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway Information from?
My answer is based on the assumption that you’re setting up a private network, connected to the internet, and your dynamic IP is being assigned by your router.





Determine the scope of addresses being assigned by your router – you’ll need to access the GUI of your router. The range is probably 192.168.1.1 – 254. Choose a static address near the edge of that range, but not one that will match your router (eg. Not 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100, or whatever your router is). You should then modify the scope of dynamic IP’s assigned by your router to avoid future conflict. In this scenario, the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0. The gateway will be the IP of your router.





When you’re done, open a command prompt (Start / Run / cmd) and type “ipconfig /all” to verify your settings.Where can I get the Static IP, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway Information from?
hi there are static and dynamic ip address assignment techniques. but now you are requested to assign statically that means you can assign it manualy, but if it is dynamic allocation it is going to be done by the server itself. so you can get the current ip address of your computer click start -%26gt;cmd-%26gt;then write ipconfig this will tell you what you want.all the best.
You need to contact your network administrator - DON'T just put anything in. If you are the network administrator - learn your network first before you put things on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment