Thursday, December 17, 2009

I'm looking for someone who's experienced in making latex/ gel like masks.?

For Halloween, I want part of my costume to be a head of me. Not in a narcissistic way. How might I go about molding my face and making a gel mask from it? I don't intend to wear the mask nor will it go on anybody's face. I know it can be done, I've definitely seen it before. Any suggestions?I'm looking for someone who's experienced in making latex/ gel like masks.?
Molding of heads is done safely with a moulage gel that is melted to a thick jelly and painted on the face with straws in the nose for breathing. It is fairly expensive, but can be reused. It is available on line from theatrical supply houses and places that support wound simulation activities - like making burns for an emergency drill. The great advantage of the gel is that it goes on warm and sets as it cools and does not damage the skin, while plaster starts cool and gets quite hot and uncomfortable and is alkali on the skin. Latex can be painted on the skin and build up layers, but it sticks to the skin (having to be peeled off) and is weak and has to be backed with plaster to retain its shape. It is also nearly impossible to use latex plus the plaster over the whole face, so it has to be done in sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment