Monday, December 14, 2009

Does a BiPAP require a different kind of mask than a CPAP?

I'm using a BiPAP (not CPAP) for sleep apnea. I use a full mask that covers my nose and mouth. Does the BiPAP require a different kind of mask than a CPAP? Or will any mask work on both BiPAPs and CPAPs?





Thanks!Does a BiPAP require a different kind of mask than a CPAP?
They are generally interchangeable. As a respiratory therapist who uses bipap, I have tried almost everything on the market. There was one made by res med that was new about 4 years ago that had an air seal. I can't remember the name and I could not find it easily in a search. But it did not stay sealed well because of the inflating and the deflating. They may not make it anymore. I really would like to try the DReam Weaver mask for the next mask that I get. I guess I need to go to a conference to ask for a sample.





Bipap is much better than CPAP. I have been on Bipap for 7 years and have logged over22,500 hours. My machine broke. I was told on my last sleep study that I could use cpap now since my original problem other than the sleep apnea had resolved. I am borrowing a CPAP until my new machine is in. I am tired, cranky, waking up several times a night, dry mouth even with the heated humidifier which I do not use very often with the bipap, having symptoms of increased CO2 retention, and my lungs hurt. I am extremely compliant with the bipap and now the cpap, but I understand why people with CPAP can be non compliant. I guess I am just ranting.Does a BiPAP require a different kind of mask than a CPAP?
Masks are universal. You can use any mask with any unit (CPAP, BiPAP or AutoPAP). There are a few cases where your doctor might want you to use a specific mask but this is very rare.
Either will do

1 comment: